In 1874 local residents gave generously to build the church, which was extended within two years.
In 1907 church members worked together to build the hall, which was extended later with extra classrooms.
In 2009 we are launching a major project to develop the site for the coming century.
All Saints’ church is a living and growing community so it is not surprising that the buildings have been changed and developed over the years to meet the needs in each generation. The CONNECT Campaign is a bold and visionary development of the chuh site that will have significant impact on the church’s presence in the community for generations to come. Practically, we seek to connect the 19th century church and the 20th century hall with an early 21st century building, together with a youth and children’s block and internal development of the hall. Philosophically, we wish to unite what we do on a Sunday with the ministry that is carried out throughout the week. Spiritually, we want to connect more effectively with the life of the local community.
We are aware that we have inherited architecturally significant buildings in a beautiful setting. From the beginning of this project we have been engaged in consultation with architects and conservation experts, with the Diocese and with the local council. The church is covered by various restrictions and requirements arising from its status as a listed building and as a building within a conservation area. This scheme has been designed sensitively to these issues and the end result enhances rather than diminishes the site. Not only do we wish to be good stewards of the buildings and the setting but we wish to be good stewards of the environment so the building also makes use of the most appropriate modern “green” technologies.